Liberal Minister Troy Buswell is expanding the scope of his defamation case against his former partner and Fremantle MP Adele Carles.
The move is likely to push back the next court conference on the case, which had been scheduled just three days before the March 9 State election, until after voters go to the polls.
Lawyer Martin Bennett, representing Mr Buswell, told the Supreme Court this morning that matters had arisen after the writ was filed.
Mr Bennett said the additional matters expanded the scope of the defamation proceedings against Ms Carles and would require changes to the timetable of the case.
Lawyer Nicholas Dillon, representing Ms Carles, said he had instructions that his client wanted a strategic conference to proceed as scheduled on March 6.
But Justice Rene Le Miere said given Mr Buswell's statement of claim would not be filed until next week and a defence would not be lodged until March 4 at the earliest, there was no purpose in a strategic conference on March 6.
Mr Buswell launched the legal action against Ms Carles late last year.
He alleges Ms Carles defamed him across a range of media outlets by making comments about his state of mind, drinking and behaviour at the homes of two wealthy Perth businessman, which he rejects.
One allegation involved Ms Carles claiming Mr Buswell simulated sex by "dry humping" seafood millionaire Nicholas Kailis at the home of property tycoon Nigel Satterley a year ago.
The case has been adjourned until this afternoon for legal argument on the content of court orders about the programming of the case.