Perth-born artist Geoffrey Drake-Brockman created the striking yellow robotic sculpture outside the arena entrance, The Totem, which reflects the arena’s angular geometric puzzle. Unlike most public sculptures, its in-built motion sensor reacts to passers-by and changes shape, with 108 moving elements that swivel, rotate and interlock. It also projects laser beams on to the arena at night.
The building’s deep blue colour represents WA’s clear skies, glittering oceans and love of the outdoors. It was specially mixed for the arena and is now called Arena Blue.
• 15,500-seat main arena
• 36 luxury VIP/corporate suites
• Five function rooms
• Retractable roof (opens in nine minutes)
•Adaptable seating, staging and floor space
• 680 bay underground carpark
• 1632 trees and shrubs planted outside
• Employs 45 permanent staff and 700 casuals
• Permanent tennis court
• Public bar and cafe on ground floor
• Biggest solar panel array in the Perth metropolitan area
• New home of the Perth Wildcats and the Hopman Cup