These pumpkin scones were made famous by an iconic Queensland woman — Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen.
In memory of Lady Flo, this is how you make her legendary scones.
LADY FLO'S PUMPKIN SCONES
1 Tablespoon of butter
0.5 cup of sugar
0.25 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of mashed pumpkin (cold)
2-2.25 cups of self-raising flour
- Beat together butter, sugar and salt with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, then pumpkin and stir in the flour.
- Turn dough onto a floured board and cut into circles.
- Place on a tray on the top shelf of a very hot oven (225-250 degrees Celsius) for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and serve with butter.