Australia's queen of fitness, Michelle Bridges, is back and she's in the kitchen to show you how to turn your Christmas leftovers into healthy meals.
NOODLE SALAD WITH PRAWNS
PREP: 15 MINUTES + 5 MINUTES STANDING
COOK: 4 MINUTES
2 × 100 g packets dried green bean vermicelli noodles
500 g peeled and deveined green (raw) king prawns
½ teaspoon sesame oil
2 Lebanese cucumbers, very thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, very thinly sliced
200 g baby mixed tomatoes, sliced
½ cup mint leaves
1 cup small basil leaves
2 tablespoons tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon honey
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 tablespoon boiling water
1. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together in a small heatproof jug until the honey has dissolved. Set aside.
2. Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes or until the noodles have softened and are translucent. Drain well. Return to the bowl, add the dressing and toss to coat well. Set aside, tossing occasionally.
3. Heat a large chargrill pan over medium–high heat. Place the prawns and sesame oil in a bowl. Season to taste and toss to coat well. Chargrill for 2 minutes each side or until cooked and golden. Transfer to the bowl with the noodle mixture.
4. Add the cucumber, celery, tomato, mint and basil to the noodle mixture and toss gently to combine. Serve warm.
TOTAL CALORIES: 1340
CALORIES PER SERVE: 335
CALORIE BOOST PER SERVE
50 calories ¼ avocado
100 calories ½ cup shelled edamame
150 calories ¼ cup raw unsalted cashews
200 calories 100 g skinless boneless salmon fillet
CHICKEN SALAD OPEN SANDWICH
PREP: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 8 MINUTES + COOLING TIME
3 chicken tenderloins (185g)
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and finely chopped
4 slices sourdough, toasted
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 cups mixed salad leaves
1 carrot, grated
2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into long thin lengths
1. Cook the chicken tenderloins in a saucepan of simmering water for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Drain, then cool.
2. Finely chop the chicken and place in a large bowl with the celery, chives, mayonnaise, mustard and capers. Season to taste. Stir until well combined.
3. Place a slice of sourdough on each serving plate and top with the tomato. Add the creamy chicken mixture, salad leaves, carrot and cucumber. Serve.
TOTAL CALORIES: 1016
CALORIES PER SERVE: 256
CALORIE BOOST PER SERVE
50 calories 1 extra chicken tenderloin
100 calories 1 extra slice sourdough
150 calories 100 g avocado
200 calories 2 slices tasty cheese
Michelle Bridges wants to start the conversation that no one seems to be having. In Keeping It Off, she teams the latest scientific findings with knowledge she has gained from working with thousands of people over many years to give us the truth about long-term weight loss. It's not simply about 'calories in vs calories out', but rather developing routines and positive habits around food and exercise that will keep you consistently and confidently in your healthy weight range for the rest of your life.