The William Tyrrell case has taken another turn with reports NSW Police have been sued by a man wrongly accused in the toddler’s disappearance.
Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell on Sunday said the “wrongly accused” man received a payout of about half a million from NSW Police and with added legal costs the total sum paid by police reportedly reached almost $1 million.
“There are fears another wrongly accused suspect, who was the subject of accusations when [former lead detective] Gary Jubelin was in charge of the case, might also sue NSW Police,” he said.
Yahoo News Australia has contacted NSW Police for comment.
William remains missing with NSW Police last week announcing a fresh search – expecting to find the toddler’s body in Kendall on the NSW Mid North Coast where he disappeared in 2014.
Police on Saturday took a hessian bag from the scene with at least two other pieces of fabric placed in evidence bags and sent off earlier in the week.
The search is expected to be subterranean and it could be a matter of months before it comes to a conclusion. Police have scoured about 10 to 20 per cent of the area.
A $1 million reward remains for anyone with information leading to a conviction.
Last week, William Tyrrell’s foster parents were charged with the unrelated assault of a different child.
Homicide squad detectives received information about the alleged, unrelated assault as part of the task force's ongoing investigations.
The 56-year-old woman and a 54-year-old man have both been charged with common assault and are due to face Hornsby Local Court on Tuesday.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.