Andy Murray in 'sad' French Open news amid worrying reality
The three-time grand slam champion made the sad announcement.
Andy Murray may have played his last Roland Garros match having announced his withdrawal from this year's tournament to focus on Wimbledon. Murray has played a mix of Masters and Challenger tournaments in the build-up to the French Open.
Many thought Murray would take part in Paris having done enough to warrant a spot and push for ranking points. However, Murray hasn't played at the clay court grand slam since 2020.
SHAME: Rybakina caught up in ugly tennis 'abomination' amid crowd drama
SAD: Nadal and Federer in sad 25-year first amid French Open drama
This is due to injury concerns and saving his body for a push on his favoured surface, grass. And in a sad reality that Murray has most likely played his final ever Roland Garros match, the Scot withdrew from the latest edition of the grand slam to focus on Wimbledon.
Murray had taken part in Monte Carlo, Madrid and the Italian Open and his momentum had encouraged fans we might see the Scot's farewell match on clay in Paris. However, after his demolition at the hands of Stan Wawrinka at a Bourdeaux Challenger event last week, it appears Murray doesn't want to push his body.
The two-time Wimbledon champion had perviously expressed his desire to make one last push at the All England Laws Club this year in a quest for one more grand slam. After his brutal loss in Madrid, Murray hinted at French Open appearance, but already had one eye on London.
"I would like to play, just purely because I don't know if I'll get another opportunity to play again. Whilst I feel fit and healthy, I would like to give it a go," he said of his future.
"But I also have ambitions of competing for Wimbledon titles and that sort of stuff, and I know that sitting here today that probably doesn't sound realistic, but I do believe that that's a possibility. I obviously want to do the right thing there."
Fans were left saddened at Murray decision. The Scot all but seems done with Roland Garros and fans might be resigned to the fact he has played his final match in Paris.
I’m not sad.
— michael epps (@michael_epps) May 21, 2023
Can make a run at home
— Kowi (@HJKYKP) May 21, 2023
Saving his energy for Wimbledon.
— Mam'zees palmoil (@MamZees) May 21, 2023
Very good decision. Amazing win in the challenger, but needs to look after himself and RG wouldn’t necessarily be fruitful
— Owen Morgan (@sherrymonster44) May 21, 2023
Oh no without Rafa and Andi😢
— Renata (@0strozka) May 21, 2023
Rafa Nadal announces Roland Garros withdrawal
Murray's announcement comes after another legend, Rafa Nadal, announced his withdrawal from Roland Garros. The 14-time winner in Paris made the sad announcement he wouldn't be taking part at this year's Roland Garros, which leaves just one more chance for the King of Clay to take part in his most lucrative grand slam.
Nadal hasn't missed Roland Garros since 2004. “It’s not a decision I’m taking, it’s a decision my body is taking,” he said. "My goal and my ambition is to try and stop and give myself an opportunity to enjoy the next year that will probably be my last year in the professional tour.
"That is my idea but I can't say 100 per cent it will be like this, but my idea and my motivation is to try to enjoy and say goodbye to all the tournaments that have been important for me. To enjoy being competitive and something that today is not possible."
Nadal and Roger Federer's absence marks the first time since 1998 at least one of the duo won't be taking part in the competition.
Sign up to our newsletter and score the biggest sport stories of the week.