Teen survives for more than a month at sea in a 'fishing hut'

An Indonesian teenager has survived 49 days adrift at sea after the wooden fish trap he was employed to mind slipped its moorings.

Aldi Novel Adilang said he ran out of food within a week, and survived on fish and seawater he squeezed from his clothing.

He told The Associated Press on Monday he turned on a lamp every time he sighted another ship and cannot remember how many passed by “unaware of my ordeal”.

The Indonesian Consulate in Osaka, Japan, said the 18-year-old was rescued by a Panamanian-flagged vessel off Guam on August 31, about 1,920 kilometres from his original location, and returned to Indonesia with officials earlier this month.

Indonesian teenager Aldi Novel Adilang was rescued  by a Panamanian-flagged vessel off  the island of Guam after being stranded on his ‘fishing trap’. Source: Indonesian Consulate General in Osaka via AP

He has been employed since age 16 in one of the world’s loneliest jobs as a lamp lighter on a rompong — a wooden raft with a hut on top that is lit at night to attract fish — moored about 125 kilometres off the coast of North Sulawesi.

The coastline is not visible from the fishing rafts and the numerous rompong are miles apart, Aldi’s mother, Net Kahiking, said.

Supplies including food and fuel for a generator are dropped off about once a week. The minders, who earn $180 a month, communicate with fishing boats by hand-held radio.

“I was on the raft for one month and 18 days. My food ran out after the first week,” Aldi said.

When it did not rain for days,  he said he “had to soak my clothes in the sea, then I squeezed and drank the water”.

Aldi Novel Adilang survived 49 days adrift at sea with no food after his wooden fishing rompong slipped its moorings. Source: Indonesian Consulate General in Osaka via AP

The boy’s father, Alfian Adilang, said the family was overjoyed at his return but angry with his employer.

It was the third time the teen’s raft had drifted.

The previous two times it had been rescued by the owner’s ship, the boy said.

The rafts are anchored with ropes and Aldi said strong friction caused them to break.

I thought I will never meet my parents again, so I just prayed every day. I thought I will never meet my parents again, so I just prayed every day,” he said.

Aldi exits  the MV Arpeggio cargo ship, which rescued him. Source: Indonesian Consulate General in Osaka via AP

Aldi’s portable radio, known as a handy-talky or HT in Indonesia, would prove to be a lifesaver.

“It was early morning on August 31 when I saw the ship and I lighted up the lamp and shouted ‘help’ using the HT,” he said.

“The ship had passed about one mile but then it turned to me. Might be because I used the English word.

“Then they talked on the HT.”

Aldi is examined following the ordeal. Source: Indonesian Consulate General in Osaka via AP

The MV Arpeggio, which rescued Aldi off Guam, contacted the Indonesian mission in Japan when it docked in Tokuyama and officials from the Osaka consulate collected him on September 6, the consulate said in a statement.

He returned to Indonesia on September 8.

Aldi, who is the youngest son of four siblings, said he no longer wanted to work on a rompong.

“My parents agree,” he said.