Teen boy dies after being stung by box jellyfish

·1-min read

A 17-year-old boy has died after being stung by a box jellyfish in Far North Queensland.

The boy, from Bamaga, was stung on February 22 while fishing on the Cape York Peninsula, Queensland police told Yahoo News Australia.

He was rushed to Townsville Hospital in critical condition, but died on Monday.

Fishermen try their luck at the Seisia jetty at the top of Cape York Peninsula.
The boy, from Bamaga, was stung on February 22 while fishing on the Cape York Peninsula. Source: AAP

Box jellyfish, named for their body shape, have tentacles covered in nematocysts, otherwise known as tiny darts loaded with poison, according to the National Ocean Service.

“People and animals unfortunate enough to be injected with this poison may experience paralysis, cardiac arrest, and even death, all within a few minutes of being stung,” their website reads.

“Of the 50 or so species of box jellyfish, also called sea wasps, only a few have venom that can be lethal to humans.”

Box jellyfish are found in warm coastal areas.

Those with lethal venom are mostly found in northern Australia.

A stock image of a box jellyfish swimming along the Australian coast.
Box jellyfish, named for their body shape, have tentacles covered in nematocysts, otherwise known as tiny darts loaded with poison. Source: AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting