Teen bailed over fatal Melbourne robbery

·2-min read

A teenager has been bailed after admitting a robbery that culminated in the fatal stabbing of a 17-year-old boy at a Melbourne bus stop.

Maaka Hakiwai and his 18-year-old brother Nathaniel were stabbed during a fight at Kings Park in September 2019.

Maaka died in hospital, with Josh Horton earlier this year found guilty of manslaughter. A jury acquitted him of murder.

Horton, 19, was also convicted of intentionally causing serious injury to Nathaniel Hakiwai.

A teenage boy who was with Horton at the time, and 21-year-old Chol Kur, have each pleaded guilty to one count of robbery over the incident.

The teen, who cannot be named because he was underage, was granted bailed in Victoria's Supreme Court on Monday.

He must comply with conditions including a curfew and a ban on knowingly associating with members of a gang known as BDK. Kur was ordered to remain behind bars.

Maaka and his brother were stabbed after Horton and others pulled up and offered them marijuana, Horton's trial was previously told.

A fight broke out when someone demanded Nathaniel Hakiwai's Philadelphia 76ers baseball cap. Horton stabbed the man twice in the leg.

Kur, then aged 19, was the one to grab the baseball cap, which prosecutor Ray Gibson on Monday said cast a "callous shadow" on his moral culpability.

Afterwards, Kur went to NSW. Lawyer Travis Brown said it was a pre-planned trip and the young man left without being approached by police.

Justice Andrew Tinney said he must have known police would want to speak to him about the incident in which a boy had died and that was all over the news.

Mr Brown said Kur risked spending longer on remand than any sentence would impose.

Prosecutors wanted him to remain in custody and Justice Tinney ultimately agreed.

Kur, Horton and the teen are due back in court for a pre-sentence hearing on June 21.