Tasmanian budget funds for child safety

Tasmania's child protection system will be bolstered by up to 25 new safety officers and support staff as part of extra funding in this week's state budget.

Human Services Minister Roger Jaensch on Tuesday said an additional $24 million over four years will be spent on an ongoing redesign of the state's child protection system.

The government in 2015 announced an overhaul of the service after it was revealed notifications of about 151 children and babies in the state's north west had been ignored.

The new funding, on top of $16 million promised during March's election campaign, will also assist vulnerable children with complex needs in out-of-home care.

"It's an admission that the redesign is a long term process which will ultimately result in fewer kids being moved into state care," Mr Jaensch told reporters.

The government spent more than $51.2 million on the redesign and out-of-home care in its first term, Mr Jaensch said.

Labor has backed the extra funding.

"It will increase young Tasmanians' opportunities into the future and not leave them vulnerable to homelessness," shadow minister for child safety Josh Willie said in a statement.

The government will on Thursday unveil its first budget since re-election earlier this year.

Treasurer Peter Gutwein sidestepped opposition questions in parliament on the amount of GST revenue he expects to receive.

"Wait until Thursday," he told question time, adding the budget will be "fantastic" for the state.