Tasmania tells SA residents to stay away

Ethan James
·1-min read

Tasmania's premier has told South Australians thinking of coming to the island to stay away amid a COVID-19 outbreak in Adelaide.

Some 1200 people from the mainland state who arrived in Tasmania after November 7 are quarantining.

Premier Peter Gutwein announced on Wednesday all would have to stay in isolation for a full 14 days after earlier this week hinting they could be let out early.

SA will begin a six-day strict lockdown on Thursday to try and stamp out virus transmission.

"The South Australian premier has asked South Australians to stay home and to keep safe," Mr Gutwein said.

"My message to South Australians thinking of travelling to the state is 'don't come'."

Anyone in Tasmania who was at an Adelaide hospital, a pizza bar where a worker tested positive, or a swimming centre is being asked to contact public health.

State Public Health Director Mark Veitch said, however, it was unlikely anyone in the state had been to any of those Adelaide venues.

Tasmania will continue to consider SA 'medium risk', meaning all arrivals will have to quarantine for two weeks.

"This is a challenging set of circumstances. It's important now that we all do the right thing," Mr Gutwein said.

The state government is speaking to Cricket Tasmania about whether the SA outbreak will impact the island's ability to host a Big Bash League hub beginning early December.

Tasmania is open to the rest of Australia bar Victoria.