Tasmania could ease SA quarantine order

Ethan James
·2-min read

Some South Australians quarantining in Tasmania after a coronavirus outbreak in Adelaide could be let out of isolation in a matter of days.

More than 1200 people from SA are undertaking quarantine on the island state after the cluster was discovered.

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein on Monday announced all arrivals from SA dating back to November 7 would have to quarantine for two weeks.

But on Tuesday he said the SA situation was looking "increasingly favourable" and there was hope some could return to normal activities on Wednesday.

"As we gain more information on the ... circumstances we will be able to better inform ourselves of the next steps to take,' he said.

There was no evidence any South Australians in Tasmania had been in contact with those linked to the outbreak, Public Health Director Mark Veitch said.

The state government will provide an update on Wednesday.

Tasmania will continue to consider SA a 'medium risk' destination until at least the end of the week, meaning all arrivals will have to quarantine.

But that requirement could be tweaked from the whole of SA to certain areas in coming days.

Mr Gutwein defended a decision to escort ten people who were walking the island's remote Three Capes Track into hotel quarantine.

The state's park services also contacted six walkers on the Overland Track and told them to isolate and only use their tents on the hike and not shared huts.

"We take our role very seriously. It was determined that was an appropriate thing to do and so that was done," Mr Gutwein said.

Mercy flights carrying Australians stranded overseas were due to begin landing in Hobart at the end of November, but remain on ice.

Meanwhile, the Spirit of Tasmania Bass Strait ferry service will ramp up to its regular seven-day-a-week service from early December, with the island state set to drop border restrictions with Victoria on November 27.