Tas eases quarantine on Brisbane arrivals

Ethan James
·1-min read

Tasmania has allowed some recent arrivals from Greater Brisbane out of quarantine but the region remains listed as high-risk.

People who entered the island state before 9am on January 8 will no longer need to be in quarantine, Health Minister Sarah Courtney announced on Monday.

Anyone who has arrived since then is required to stay in self-isolation.

Their quarantine requirements will be reviewed in two days, Ms Courtney said.

Anyone arriving in Tasmania from Greater Brisbane must still quarantine for two weeks, as per a state government direction made on Friday.

Greater Brisbane was forced into a three-day lockdown after a cleaner tested positive to the more contagious UK COVID-19 strain.

Tasmania's Public Health Director Mark Veitch said the several thousand people allowed out of quarantine in the state do not pose a risk.

"(There) is extremely unlikely to be anybody who was exposed to, or anyone infected by, that primary case who's been in Tasmania last week," he said.

Ms Courtney said people who arrived in the 24 hours after the high-risk declaration was made won't have to pay for their quarantine costs.

"We recognise the decision was made very swiftly," she said.

The Northern Territory and ACT have revoked hotspot declarations for Greater Brisbane.