SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Man dramatically escapes burning home after sudden e-bike explosion

A Sydney resident was forced to jump from the second-storey balcony to escape the flames.

A house in Sydney's east went up in flames on Sunday night when an e-bike exploded in the garage, forcing one man to jump from the second-storey balcony to escape.

At about 8pm, emergency services responded to reports of a fire in Eastgardens, about 9km south of the Sydney CBD. Photos from the scene show the destructive aftermath of the flames, including a burnt-out home and car.

Fourteen Fire and Rescue NSW trucks attended the Mathewson St address after the fire spread from the garage. Authorities said all residents were able to escape the property unharmed. It's not known how many people were home at the time.

Burnt home and car after e-bike exploded causing fire in Sydney.
Emergency services responded to reports of a fire in Eastgardens, Sydney after an e-bike exploded in the garage. Source: NSW Fire and Rescue

Faulty lithium-ion battery to blame for house fire

Fire investigators believe a faulty lithium-ion battery on the bike exploded, causing the fire, which badly damaged the home and destroyed a vehicle in the garage.

"Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) firefighters have removed several other lithium-ion batteries from the scene, concerned they've been compromised by fire and are at risk of igniting and/or exploding," NSW Fire and Rescue (FRNSW) said on Monday.

A fire crew remained at the scene overnight to prevent re-ignition. The e-bike battery was secured and immersed in water by firefighters.

Firefighters at Sydney home after e-bike fire.
Firefighters secured the e-bike battery and immersed it in water to prevent re-ignition. Source: NSW Fire and Rescue

Reminder about potential dangers of batteries

FRNSW issued a statement warning faulty or over-charged lithium-ion batteries pose a serious safety risk.

"They can let off-gas and explode, causing intense fires that are extremely difficult to extinguish and are at risk of re-igniting," it said on Monday.

FRNSW advises the public to choose reputable and compatible lithium-ion battery brands and avoid over-charging or charging devices while you're asleep or away from home. Working smoke alarms and home escape plans also save lives during fires," it said.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.