Mystery over Sydney house fire after Tesla charging rumour

·2-min read

A fire has destroyed a family home, killing the family pet in southwest Sydney overnight.

NSW Police confirmed to Yahoo News Australia the fire started around 8pm on Sunday in the attached garage of a home on Calabria Street in Prestons.

The fire was initially believed to have been started by an electric vehicle that was charging in the garage, however, a spokesperson for Fire and Rescue NSW told Yahoo News that was incorrect.

“Our fire investigator is on-site and can confirm no electrical vehicle was in the garage, and no charging system was involved in the fire,” Superintendent Adam Dewberry said.

A firefighter at the scene told news.com.au the fire has destroyed the garage and two vehicles inside.

The fire in southwest Sydney overnight killed the family cat on Sunday night.
NSW Fire and Rescue confirmed the fire wasn't started by an electrical vehicle. Source: TNV

Police confirmed to Yahoo they had no details regarding vehicles in the fire but said "the family cat is deceased".

"The premises will be forensically examined this morning to determine the origin of the fire," a spokesperson told Yahoo News.

Police have confirmed investigations are ongoing.

NSW Police said the fire started in the garage. Source: TNV
NSW Police said the fire started in the garage. Source: TNV

Fire broke out in Tesla Megapack unit in 2021

In 2021, a fire broke out in a Tesla Inc battery near Melbourne when testing one of the world's biggest energy storage batteries, at a project run by France's Neoen SA.

The fire erupted during an initial trial of the high-profile energy project known as the Victorian Big Battery near Melbourne. Nobody was injured and the facility was evacuated.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.