Sydney girl's death linked to mixed drinks

Greta Stonehouse

A Sydney teenager is dead days after drinking what police believe was a cocktail of alcohol and energy drinks.

The 15-year-old girl was found unconscious at home in Kenthurst, in Sydney's northwest, on Friday night.

She was taken to The Children's Hospital at Westmead but died on Monday.

While a post-mortem examination is due later this week, police suspect a bottle of alcohol and energy drinks found at the house may have played a role.

"This investigation is in its infancy but early inquiries indicate this girl sourced an alcoholic drink recipe from an online site, then put that information to the test," Superintendent Rob Critchlow said in a statement on Tuesday.

"The consequences have been tragic."

He warned of the risk of underage and "uninformed" drinking.

"We have a family devastated by the death of their beloved daughter; they have a lot of questions," Supt Critchlow said.

"We will endeavour to find answers, but our message has to be: do not risk your health experimenting with high-risk information sourced online."