Sydney Covid outbreak registers ANOTHER double-digit increase

·News Reporter
·2-min read

NSW health authorities have announced a further 11 locally acquired Covid-19 cases on Thursday.

There have now been 48 community cases since Sydney's outbreak began when an unvaccinated limousine driver ferrying air crew tested positive on June 16.

The Bondi cluster stands at 36.

Thursday's official local case total is 18, 13 of which were revealed on Wednesday.

A further six cases have been identified beyond the 8pm cut off and will be included in Friday's numbers.

Of those six, one is an unlinked case, a man in his 40s, with health authorities scrambling to investigate where he acquired the virus.

NSW Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall is among the six after visiting Christo's Pizzeria in Paddington at the same time as a previously reported case linked to the Bondi cluster.

The number of cases linked to the West Hoxton 'super-spreader' birthday party in Sydney's southwest now stands at 11.

COVID NSW: The daunting threat 'scary' variant poses to Sydney

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said her restrictions implemented on Wednesday were adequate at this stage. Source: Getty
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said her restrictions implemented on Wednesday were adequate at this stage. Source: Getty

Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant are facing mounting pressure over their reluctance to send Sydney into a lockdown as cases continue to surge.

Sydneysiders and residents of surrounding areas were subject to tightened restrictions on Wednesday, a move which the premier said was proportionate to the risk posed by the highly-infectious Delta variant at this stage.

Ms Berejiklian will front media at 12.30pm AEST.

There were 48,402 tests received in the previous 24-hour reporting period, another solid turnout after Wednesday's 44,640 total.

The increase of 11 is lower than the 16 new infections identified by NSW Health 24 hours earlier on Wednesday.

There are now more than 150 exposure sites or transport routes identified by contact tracers.

NSW Heath is urgently calling on anyone who attended Crown Hair in Kings Cross on June 22 from 9am to 5pm to isolate immediately and seek testing. 

They must isolate for 14 days regardless of test result and call NSW Health on 1800 943 553.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting