Sydney dog owners are being warned to keep a close eye on their pets with fears some dogs are deliberately being poisoned.
Waverley Council, in Sydney's east, said they are investigating after at least one dog "fell sick and passed away" last week.
A sign has been plastered on a tree on Ocean St in Bondi, where it's believed a possible poisoning took place. It warned of potential dog baiting in the area.
Dog baiting usually involves placing poison baits inside food or treats for dogs in public areas. But eating it will often lead to serious illness or death.
A Waverley Council spokesperson said the affected dog returned home from a walk last week and fell ill not long after.
"Rangers visited the area with the owner who remembers seeing the dog eat something in or near a pile of leaves under a tree on Ocean Street," they said in a statement to Yahoo News Australia.
But while it's "not known whether this is related to the cause of death, rangers did find two dead pigeons in the area," they confirmed.
Council has put signage up in the area and is asking dog owners to keep their dogs on a lead and always keep a watchful eye on what their dogs are eating during walks.
They have also notified local vets of the incident with Paddo Pets in Paddington sharing a warning on Facebook on Friday.
The pet store said a potential baiting was also reported at Waverley Oval and warned pet owners to be "extra careful."
Locals are now alerting others online with fears their pets might be next.
Woman shares new fears for missing cat
One woman, whose Burmese cat has been missing for almost a month, suspects her pet has also fallen victim.
She revealed on Facebook that her neighbour "witnessed his 20kg dog [eat] something in the lane near us and died of poisoning within 35 minutes."
"He found a dead pigeon the next day and then we all realised that we haven’t seen any pigeons, ibis or myna birds in the area for a while either," she wrote on Monday.
"Sounds like a highly potent poison, and would have killed Ted in a very short time. So far the most plausible explanation for his disappearance."
Residents slam 'disgusting' act
Sydney residents are shocked by the "awful" act targeting local pets.
"How awful. I can’t understand why anyone would do this," one person comments on Facebook.
"This is heartbreaking," said another.
Others call out the "low life" responsible for leaving the bait, while some called it "disgusting."
Waverley Council is urging anyone who sees any suspicious activity to report it to police.
"Our thoughts are with the owner of the dog at this very sad and difficult time," the council said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.