A 40-year-old man has been charged with murder after allegedly striking another man in the head with a metal object at a unit in Hobart.
Emergency services discovered the man's body about 8am on Thursday after being called to the property by his alleged attacker.
Detective Inspector Michael Smith said the men had been involved in an altercation.
"(This resulted) in the alleged offender striking the man in the head with a metal object," he told reporters.
It is not known when the alleged fight happened, with Insp Smith saying the man, also aged 40, may have been dead for more than a day.
Police believe the men had been staying together in the unit for several days and had known each other for "some time".
The 40-year-old man, who lives at the unit complex, is expected to appear in Hobart Magistrates Court on Friday.
Insp Smith has asked for any witnesses to come forward.