Police have released new images of fugitive Rajwinder Singh who they believe may be responsible for the brutal 2018 murder of Queensland woman Toyah Cordingley.
A $1 million reward has been announced for information on his whereabouts with anyone across the world urged to come forward.
The 24-year-old woman was reported missing on Sunday October 21, 2018 after she took her dog for a walk. Her body was discovered by her father the following morning at Wangetti Beach, just 40km north of Cairns.
Investigators are hoping the reward – the largest in the state’s history — will help them find 38-year-old Singh who was last seen in India. Police discovered he fled Australia for India two days after the murder, leaving behind his job, wife and three children.
They have now for the first time released images of Mr Singh leaving the country on October 23, 2018. The photos, taken from CCTV footage, capture the former nurse at Sydney airport wearing two different sets of clothes. It's believed he flew out of Cairns Airport to Sydney before travelling on to India.
Australian authorities made a request to extradite Mr Singh from India in March 2021. He lived in Innisfail in North Queensland but is originally from Buttar Kalan, Punjab India.
$1 million reward on offer for information
Police Minister Mark Ryan approved the major reward for information leading to the location and arrest of key suspect Mr Singh.
He said an appropriate indemnity from prosecution would be considered for any accomplice, not being the person who committed the crime, who gives information that leads to Mr Singh's arrest.
Detective Acting Superintendent Sonia Smith said on Wednesday a dedicated team of detectives from Cairns, Far North and the Homicide Investigation Unit had continued to work tirelessly towards ensuring justice for Toyah and her family.
"We strongly believe there are people in Australia and overseas who could share information about the whereabouts of Rajwinder Singh. This is most definitely the time to come forward and tell us what you know" she said.
Deputy Commissioner Tracy Linford said this was the first time an initial reward of $1 million had been offered in Queensland. Local police have been working with the Australian Federal Police, Commonwealth Attorney-General’s department, as well as Indian authorities, to locate Mr Singh.
"We are very grateful for the Government’s support in approving this significant reward which we believe will assist us in tracking down Rajwinder Singh," Deputy Commissioner Linford said on Thursday.
"It is critical we capture the attention of an international audience to reach this individual. Police will not give up – we remain incredibly determined to find answers for Toyah’s family and will do whatever we can to bring them closure."
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.