A number of frozen vegetable mixes have been recalled from Australian supermarkets because of listeria contamination fears.
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) has released a list of nine products sold at Woolworths, Aldi, and IGA stores.
The products include snap frozen vegetable mixes, corn kernels, quick-steam carrot, broccoli and cauliflower mixes, and pea, carrot and sweet corn mixes.
Acting FSANZ CEO Peter May said pregnant women, people whose immune systems were compromised (eg cancer patients) and elderly people should check their freezers for the recalled items that are possibly contaminated with listeria monocytogenes.
“The products affected contain a particularly dangerous strain of listeria and are being recalled as a precautionary measure to ensure consumers are protected, but particularly vulnerable populations,” Mr May said.
- Woman’s lies about having cancer ‘fractured her family’
- Man filmed hitting and kicking dog escapes with fine
- Restaurant fined for dumping severely drunk women onto footpath
Listeria is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, their unborn children, and newborns.
While properly cooked frozen vegetables are safe to eat, if uncooked or undercooked they can pose a serious listeria threat.
It’s estimated that in Australia each year, around 150 people are hospitalised with listeriosis, the symptoms of which can initially be mistaken for a cold or the flu.
Anyone with the products in their freezer should return to the place of purchase for a full refund or dispose of it.
Consumers who have eaten the product and feel unwell are encouraged to see a health professional.
The full list
- Woolworths – Essentials snap frozen mixed veg 1kg: Carrots, peas, corn, green beans & potatoes – National distribution. Best Before: 19 March 2020 through to 24 April 2020.
- Woolworths – Bell Farms Steam Veggie Carrot Corn and Broccoli 3pk 450g – National distribution, all stock.
- IGA – Black & Gold Corn Kernels 500g – National distribution. Best Before: all dates.
- IGA – Black & Gold Mixed Vegetables 1kg: Carrots, peas, beans & corn – National distribution. Best Before: all dates.
- ALDI (only products with country of origin of Belgium, United Kingdom or Hungary, all other countries not affected) – Market Fare Peas, Carrots and Super Sweet Corn 1kg – National distribution.
- ALDI – Market Fare Corn Kernels 1kg Queensland, VIC, WA and select NSW stores Product of Hungary (only).
- ALDI – Market Fare Mixed Vegetables 1kg Queensland, NSW, ACT, WA Packed in Belgium from Imported and Belgian Ingredients (only).
- ALDI – Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Broccoli and Cauliflower 450g – National distribution.
- ALDI – Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Corn and Broccoli 450g – National distribution.