THE MIXED LEGACY OF SUHARTO:
* Suharto seen as the "father" of economic development.
* Cut poverty from about 60 per cent from 1968 to 13 per cent in 1997 when the Asian economic crisis hit.
* Doubled rice production in Indonesia so the world's biggest importer could become self-sufficient.
* The former army general oversaw the US-backed purge of an estimated 500,000 communists in 1965.
* Hundreds of thousands of people were killed under Suharto's rule in military operations in East Timor, West Papua and Aceh.