The story behind this terrifying photo of car ripped in half

A shocking image of the aftermath of a high speed pursuit which left a car split in two has been shared by WA Police after a driver was charged over the incident.

A 24-year-old man from Aveley is facing multiple charges including dangerous driving causing bodily harm after allegedly evading a police car in Perth’s northern suburb of Morley about midday on Thursday.

Mirrabooka detectives allege the driver accelerated away from police when they tried to pull him over on Wellington Road.

WA Police shared an image of the driver’s car ripped into two parts and positioned 10 metres from each other.Source: WA Police/ Facebook

The vehicle drove on to Malaga where it is alleged the driver’s BMW rammed a police vehicle on Beach Road.

The driver lost control of the vehicle, crossed the median strip onto the wrong side of the road and collided into a Hyundai causing injuries to the driver and passenger. The rear end of the driver’s BMW was completely ripped off in the collision.

Crash victims suffer only minor injuries

In a remarkable twist, the driver and passenger of the Hyundai, one man in his 50s and one in his 70s, escaped serious injury.

They were taken to Royal Perth Hospital in a stable condition with only minor injuries, St John Ambulance confirmed to Yahoo7 News.

The driver of the split car also walked away relatively unscathed, also attending RPH for minor injuries where he remains on Friday.

Remarkably the two people inside the Hyundai the BMW slammed into only suffered minor injuries. Source: Sunrise

WA Police took to social media to share the remarkable image of the driver’s vehicle split in two, with the rear end left on the other side of the road to the rest of the car.

“If you saw the pictures and thought “someone should be charged for that…” – we did too, and we have,” WA Police wrote on Facebook.

The driver has been charged with offences relating to a cancelled licence, failing to stop, reckless driving and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

He is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court later on Friday.