Stabber granted bail after police pursuit

Already convicted for stabbing a man multiple times, a Sydney man who allegedly fled police at high speeds in a stolen vehicle has been granted bail.

Mondell Brownlow, 20, was sentenced on May 12 last year for one count of reckless wounding after the District Court found he had stabbed a 15-year-old boy after an argument in Doonside on May 15, 2021.

"With very little provocation, (Brownlow) produced a knife from his pants, rushed at the victim and thrust the knife into the victim's abdomen, side and left forearm and then shoved him," NSW Supreme Court Justice Mark Ierace said during a hearing on Wednesday.

A surgeon's report found the victim suffered "potentially life threatening stab wounds" including two to the lower chest.

Brownlow was convicted at Parramatta District Court and an intensive corrections order put in place.

At the time, he was under a community corrections order for a separate conviction on May 11, 2021 for one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Brownlow was arrested for a third time on June 13, 2022 after allegedly fleeing police in a stolen vehicle and leading them on a high speed chase through Sydney's west.

At about 11.40pm the night before, police spotted a vehicle in Lethbridge Park driven erratically and signalled the driver to pull over for a random breath test.

The vehicle is alleged to have then taken off, reaching speeds of up to 150km/h while racing through a built-up area.

Two men and three women are alleged to have jumped out of the vehicle later on, attempting to flee on foot.

"(Brownlow) was observed by PolAir and ultimately arrested hiding behind a tree," said Justice Ierace reading from the police facts sheet.

He has been charged with not stopping whilst driving recklessly during a police pursuit, driving never having been licensed, driving a stolen vehicle, and being in possession of suspected stolen goods, and was being held at Bathurst prison.

Despite concerns about this criminal history, Justice Ierace granted Brownlow bail after hearing submissions from his lawyers that the length of time he would be behind bars before his hearing at Mount Druitt Local Court on May 12 this year would exceed any sentence given.

The judge found that while there was a risk Brownlow could commit further offences on bail, this was reduced by strict bail conditions proposed, including that he live with his father in Airds and remain under a curfew, barred from leaving the house between 8pm and 8am.

"I am satisfied that if those conditions are imposed, the level of risk is reduced to an acceptable level. Accordingly, I grant the applicant bail," the judge said.

Other conditions include that he is barred from driving a motor vehicle, applying for a new passport, or contacting any of his other co-accused.