Speed is focus of fatal Sydney crash trial

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

A Sydney driver who lost control of his ute and killed a woman in a head-on crash was travelling at more than double the 60km/h speed limit, a judge has been told.

But while the Crown contends the evidence will show Troy Anthony Xerri was driving in excess of 120km/h, the defence argues it will show the speed could have been as slow as 80km/h.

The 30-year-old brother of ex-NRL player Bronson Xerri has pleaded not guilty to aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death and aggravated dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm.

The aggravating circumstances are that he was alleged to have been driving at more than 45km/h over the 60km/h speed limit shortly after 5pm on November 13, 2019 at Eastwood.

The Crown has not accepted his guilty pleas to the alternative charges of dangerous driving occasioning the death of Joanne Duke and dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm to Xerri's passenger, Michael Nader.

It has accepted his guilty plea to a "furious driving" charge in relation to Edwina Roberts.

In opening the crown case in the District Court trial on Tuesday, the prosecutor said the issue for Judge Leonie Flannery would be the speed at which Xerri was travelling.

He had been driving a Toyota HiLux ute along Blaxland Road, which was two lanes each way, separated by a double unbroken line until just before a junction where there was small raised concrete median strip.

Ms Duke was driving the other way, while Edwina Roberts was in the car behind her and they were both travelling about 50 to 60km/h.

"The crown case is that the accused was driving more than 45km/h (over the limit), that is more than 105km/h," the prosecutor said.

As Xerri approached the Blaxland Road junction, he lost control of his car, crossed onto the wrong side of the road and collided with Ms Duke's car.

The force of the impact pushed her car backwards and it collided with Ms Roberts' vehicle.

The impact also caused the tray of Xerri's ute to be separated from the rest of the vehicle.

Ms Duke couldn't be saved, while Ms Roberts was treated for grazes and Mr Nader was hospitalised for a week with injuries including a head wound and facial lacerations.

The prosecutor said on the crown case the evidence, including from crash investigators, would show Xerri was driving in excess of 120km/h while the accused's case was it could be as slow as 80km/h.

His barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC said her client pleaded guilty to charges related to the three innocent victims.

But she contended the Crown would not be able to prove that at the time of the impact Xerri was driving over 105km/h.

The judge-alone trial continues.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting