South Belfast: Homes evacuated in suspected carbon monoxide incident

The scene at Fane Street
The scene at Fane Street during the incident [BBC]

More than 40 flats in south Belfast were evacuated on Wednesday night due to what is understood to have been a carbon monoxide incident.

The police assisted the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service with the evacuation in Fane Street in the Village area.

The incident began at about 19:00 BST, with the public urged to avoid the area and motorists warned of delays.

By 22:30 carbon monoxide readings were normal, BBC News NI understands.

Belfast City Councillor Gary McKeown said it was a gas leak.

"A number of residents were evacuated and the Olympia Leisure Centre was used as an emergency rest centre," Mr McKeown said.

"Thank you to the emergency services and council staff for their response to this issue and the support they provided to people affected."

The police confirmed at about 23:30 that residents had safely returned to their homes.