SOUTH AUSTRALIA'S ENERGY PLAN:
* South Australia will build Australia's largest battery to store renewable energy. Private investment will be sought but can access government incentives and low-interest loans. Likely to be at least 100 megawatts.
* It will also build a new government-owned gas-fired power plant to provide up to 250 megawatts of power for emergency use.
* New legislation will allow the energy minister to intervene in the National Electricity Market to instruct generators to turn on when emergency power is needed in SA.
* An energy security target will be introduced to enforce power retailers to source at least 36 per cent of their power from electricity generated in SA.
* The government will use its bulk-buying power to attract investment for new power generation. This is likely to be another, privately-owned, gas-fired power plant.
* There will be extra funding of $24 million to bring on new gas reserves, both conventional and unconventional.