Holden will continue its long-running partnership with South Australian police - despite the wind-up of local manufacturing last year - with German-made cars rolling out as part of a new trial.
The ZB Commodore, with new fluoro markings, will be trialled alongside the Kia Sorrento, which was first used by police in January.
SA Police assistant commissioner Peter Harvey says the new cars will be used across the state and in all facets of the job.
"The intention of both vehicles is that they can be used in all areas of policing, including prisoner transport, road policing and general duties," he told reporters on Tuesday.
Mr Harvey could not say how much the trial will cost, or how much more expensive the new cars are than the previous fleet.
"The costings are a business in confidence at the moment," he said.
"Everything is costed out to meet very important budget restrictions and parameters and so they're well within our range."
The six-cylinder cars will be on road for at least the next three months, and, while not guaranteed to be extended, Mr Harvey said they had performed well so far.
"We're more than confident it will meet all our benchmarks but that is the purpose of the trial - to see if it meets both technical and operational requirements," he said.
He said the new markings, which incorporate fluorescent yellow strips, will increase visibility and improve safety at crash scenes.
The last Australian-built Commodores rolled off Holden's Elizabeth assembly line in October, 2017, before all production was moved offshore.
Police Minister Corey Wingard said 160 Commodores would be involved in the trial, with 40 to hit the road from Tuesday.
"I'm really glad that SAPOL are testing to make sure that our police officers have the safest, the best cars available to them when they're doing their job and keeping South Australians safe," he said.