Source: Nevada commission bars James Krause from working UFC Vegas 65 as betting investigation continues

JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA - APRIL 24: Coach James Krause sits backstage during the UFC 261 event at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on April 24, 2021 in Jacksonville, Florida. (Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC)
James Krause was suspended by the Nevada commission ahead of Saturday's UFC Vegas 65 in Las Vegas. (Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC)

LAS VEGAS — The Nevada Athletic Commission would not allow veteran MMA coach James Krause to work the corner of Miles Johns on Saturday on the preliminary card of UFC Vegas 65 against Vince Morales, a source with knowledge of the situation told Yahoo Sports. Jeff Mullen, the commission’s executive director, declined comment.

Johns said in the Octagon after the fight that Krause had been suspended and not able to work his corner. A UFC spokeswoman said that the UFC did not suspend Krause, but had no other information.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Johns defeated Vince Morales by unanimous decision with his father and brother in his corner. Johns said at the post-fight news conference he learned Friday at dinner that Krause would not able to corner him Saturday. His brother and father did instead.

The commission’s decision to not allow Krause to corner Johns on Saturday came as a result of questions surrounding a Nov. 5 bout at Apex in Las Vegas between Darrick Minner and Shayilan Nuerdanbieke. Nuerdanbieke won the match by first-round finish.

Minner, who is coached by Krause, apparently came into the fight at Apex with an injured knee. He threw a kick early in the fight and re-injured his knee and Nuerdanbieke quickly finished him. Rumors circulated early on the morning of the fight that Minner was injured and bets poured in on Nuerdanbieke, with the line moving significantly in his favor.

The UFC released a statement on Nov. 6 when the news broke about the betting investigation on the Minner-Nuerdanbieke fight, noting in part, “At this time, we have no reason to believe either of the athletes involved in the bout, or anyone associated with their teams, behaved in an unethical or irresponsible manner.”

Neither UFC president Dana White nor Hunter Campbell, the UFC’s chief business officer, responded to queries during Saturday’s card about Krause. Krause could not be reached by Yahoo Sports.

Johns said during his post-fight interview that the UFC had suspended Krause, but at the post-fight news conference, he said he had no other information and said he wasn’t sure whether or not it was the UFC that had suspended him.

“They just called him last night and said he was unable to corner me today,” Johns said. “I’m sure you guys will be finding out what is going on soon enough, as will I.”

The UFC further said in its Nov. 5 statement that its betting integrity partner, Don Best Sports, was investigating the Minner-Nuerdanbieke fight.

On Saturday, a source told Yahoo Sports that there is no evidence that Krause, a known bettor on MMA fights, had done anything wrong. The source said that because Best’s investigation is ongoing, it seemed appropriate to keep Krause away from fights until it is completed.