Mother cries in park for murdered son

Rebekah Ison

Ting Huang used to send pictures of the Opera House to his Chinese parents and encourage them to visit him.

Now living in Australia, the murdered man's mother cries every day in a park.

"I have to go to the park every day so I can cry for my son without disturbing our neighbours or upsetting my husband," Ai Qin Chen, who sobbed in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday, said in a victim impact statement read by a support person.

"Every day passes as slow as a year."

Ting Huang's stabbed and decomposing body was found wrapped in a doona in a car boot near Rookwood cemetery in Lidcombe in September 2014.

Ten days earlier his murderer, Zhen Fang, had told police he'd killed someone but he didn't know when or where, adding "that man gave me a lot of ice".

He'd gone to a pastor the day before, made a throat-slitting gesture and said he'd "done something to another person".

"We feel so much hate for this man who's taken our son," Ms Chen, who has moved to Australia with her husband to be closer to a young family member, said in the statement.

"We now have to come to terms with the fact that Australia does not have capital punishment."

Fang, who hit himself in the head and made unintelligible comments during his conversation with police, was assessed by a psychiatrist as having suffered a drug-induced psychosis.

But the jury rejected the submission that his culpability should be reduced to manslaughter due to an impaired mental state, and convicted him of murder in November.

The trial heard there were no drugs found in his system when he spoke to officers and he was subsequently released because police had no information about a body or a crime.

Mr Huang's remains were found - with levels of methamphetamine in his system - after police received a parking complaint more than a week later.

Ms Chen was in her car when the Australian police called and said she knew her son was dead when his father started to cry.

"My husband is an only son and now his only son is dead - the family name will not continue.

"Our son's murder will follow us forever."

Fang had travelled to China after being released by police but later returned.

While he was found to have no drugs in his system when he saw police, an expert said ice was very quickly eliminated from the body of a living person.

Fang later told a psychiatrist he had used ice for about 12 months saying that from mid-2014 he knew "things were not right".

In a letter to the court, Fang's father, who described himself as an "old ordinary and helpless Chinese farmer" said the murderer's mother had become sick after hearing of the killing and later died.

He was now the only person left worrying about his son in a "once happy home".

"Please help me, an old man in the broken family, to witness his rebellious son's regret for what he has done and then start a clean slate," Zhiyong Fang said in an English translation of the letter.

Fang is due to be sentenced at the end of March.