A horrific unprovoked assault in broad daylight in Sydney's inner west has left a man in hospital with a fractured skull.
Emergency services were called to Glebe around 10.45am on September 18 after the man was assaulted.
The 60-year-old had been walking north along Bay Street when he bumped into another man walking past him.
The younger man, believed to be in his 20s, then turned and followed the older man for several metres before striking him in the back of the head.
He then turns and flees as his victim lies motionless on the footpath.
The injured man was treated by paramedics before being taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital with serious head injuries, including a fractured skull.
The man underwent surgery and has since been released from hospital.
Police have released CCTV images of a man they say can help them with their inquiries.
He is described as having an olive complexion, with a slim build and a short dark beard. He was wearing a black hooded jumper and black tracksuit pants.
Detective Acting Inspector Michael Egan-Hirst addressed media on Tuesday and called people that knew the person allegedly responsible for the attack to not protect him.
“The offender has seen the damage that he’s done and then he’s run from the scene. We will expect that he’d hand himself in, and if not, people that do recognise him, don’t protect him,” Mr Egan-Hirst said.
The victim has since been released from hospital but reportedly told police he couldn’t remember anything about the incident.
While his physical symptoms will likely subside, Nine reported he told police he doubted he would ever feel safe to walk the streets again.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.