Melb Anzac Day march cancelled over virus

Ulises Izquierdo

Melbourne's Anzac Day march is closed and the dawn service at the Shrine Of Remembrance will go ahead without a crowd.

The Shrine of Remembrance has also closed its doors because of the coronavirus spread.

After an emergency meeting of the Anzac Day commemorative committee on Monday, RSL Victoria announced wide-ranging restrictions on their April 25 events.

Along with the cancellation of the Anzac Day march and the midday service, the dawn service at the shrine will go ahead with only a small number of official guests.

The Dawn Service will also be modified to minimise the virus risk.

Victorian RSL sub-branches are to conduct a single Anzac Day service, also without the public.

"Anzac Day 2020 will not look like the Anzac Day that so many of us are used to participating in," RSL Victoria President Dr Robert Webster said in a statement.

"There will be a service, wreaths will be laid, the last post will still be played, a minute's silence in memory of the fallen will be held - but the public will be asked to stay at home."

The RSL is asking the public to watch the shrine Dawn Service via TV or social media.

Earlier on Monday, the shrine joined other Melbourne landmarks such as the National Gallery of Victoria and the State Library in confirming its temporary closure.

The shrine said in a statement that the closure will be subject to weekly review.

Non-essential mass gatherings of more than 500 people such as cultural and sporting events and conferences have been banned in Victoria after a state of emergency was declared.

Anzac Day services have also been cancelled in WA and Tasmania.