A warning has been issued over a children’s nightie which is “highly flammable” and could lead to death.
Anyone who purchased a Monster High Ghoul nightie is being told by the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission to stop using it immediately.
ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said lab testing has shown the nightie “caught fire very rapidly” and is “highly flammable and dangerous and the risk to children wearing them, particularly in some types of heated houses, is too great”.
“The Monster High Ghoul nightie has the potential to cause serious injury or even death to children using them, and the ACCC urges everyone who has one to stop using it immediately and seek a refund from the supplier, or simply discard it,” Ms Rickard said.
“Children can suffer serious burns if their nightwear catches fire, and the risk increases in winter as children are more likely to be near artificial heating or open flames.”
It’s not the first time the nighties have been recalled either.
The Monster High Ghoul nighties were recalled in 2015 by its supplier Designworks and retailer Kmart for failing safety standards.
They were recalled again in 2017 and 2019 by Victorian retailer Brand Clearance Clothing, after Designworks resupplied the item.
“It’s completely unacceptable that this item is still being sold five years after its safety failings were first identified,” Ms Rickard said.
“It is a dangerous non-compliant product and any supplier or retailer in the supply chain is breaking the law by selling it.”
The ACCC is investigating how the nighties were made available for purchase on eBay.
Anyone who purchased one or more of these Monster High Ghoul nighties, should immediately stop using the garment and contact Designworks customer service at (03) 8823 8200 or email@example.com for a full refund.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.