Shock development after Aussie homebuyers denied $25,000 grant

·2-min read

Homebuyers who had their $25,000 grant applications rejected over satellite images may be getting their money after all, as the Queensland Revenue Office (QRO) investigates the claims.

Earlier this week it was reported some Queenslanders who had applied for the $25,000 HomeBuilder Grant had their applications rejected with satellite images revealing the surprising reason why.

While the HomeBuilder scheme is an Australian Government initiative, the grant is administered by states and territories. The QRO is responsible for administering the scheme in Queensland.

Melissa Bloomfield was one of the many applicants who had her application rejected. Source: Nine
Melissa Bloomfield was one of the many applicants who had her application rejected. Source: Nine

One of which was Melissa Bloomfield, who signed on for an off-the-plan property in Brisbane in 2020.

A satellite image of the site confirmed that a house, which had previously stood there, had already been torn down, which meant construction had started before the grant came into effect.

Ms Bloomfield's application was rejected and she told 9News.com.au that she was shocked and oblivious to the house being torn down.

She was one of many applicants who had their dreams shattered, however, the Queensland Revenue Office confirmed to Yahoo News Australia it would be investigating rejected applications.

The Queensland Revenue Office will now review all rejected applicants of the HomeBuilders grant. Source: Getty Images, file
The Queensland Revenue Office will now review all rejected applicants of the HomeBuilders grant. Source: Getty Images, file

"After being prompted by the Queensland Government, the Commonwealth has relaxed its guidance allowing a review of previously rejected applications," a QRO spokesperson said.

"The Queensland Revenue Office has emailed impacted HomeBuilder grant applicants to inform them their cases are being reviewed.

"This is in relation to commencement of construction dates and residency requirements. This also applies to applicants who may have applications pending."

Speaking in parliament on Wednesday, Queensland Treasurer and Minister for Trade and Investment Cameron Dick said the Commonwealth's guidance meant the QRO had to reject applications on the basis of work commencing before the start of the program.

About 200 of the 29,000 applicants were impacted by the guidance, he said.

Mr Dick said since the Commonwealth relaxed the guidance, the "bulk" of rejected applications will be approved.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting