The heartbroken dad of two boys who were killed when an out-of-control car slammed into a group of five people on a central western NSW street has reportedly revealed the last words he said to them.
Joseph Shorey’s sons Shane, 7, and Sheldon, 6, died on Tuesday afternoon after they were struck by the car at high speed while coming home from the local swimming pool on Warne Street in Wellington.
The pair had been walking with their older brother Mark, 9, their mum, 34, and a 10-year-old family friend.
The 10-year-old was airlifted to Sydney with serious leg injuries, while the woman was airlifted to Sydney but is now in a stable condition.
Mark suffered minor injuries and has been released from hospital.
Mr Shorey told Daily Mail Australia the three brothers had been spending time with their mum in Wellington and he’d just seen them the day before.
“They gave me big hugs and cuddles and said ‘dad, we love you, we'll see you on the 17th’,” Mr Shorey told the publication.
The “shattered” man told the publication he was on his way to pick up Mark from the hospital and break the devastating news that his brothers have died.
“He doesn't know that his brothers are dead, he just thinks they are in hospital like him, I don't know how I'm going to tell him.
“I can't believe it. It is gut wrenching, it is heartbreaking, it is everything you ever imagine it would be.”
A GoFundMe page has also been established by the brothers' aunt to pay for their funeral costs and "bury (the) babies with dignity and pride".
“I can not fathom the pain he and all the mob are going through right now,” she wrote.
Driver with no licence faces 14 charges
Police allege the 25-year-old male driver, who has never held a driver's licence, fled from the scene.
He was arrested on Elizabeth Street in Wellington four hours later after allegedly attempting to run away from police.
He was allegedly in possession of prescription drugs at the time.
The 25-year-old was on Wednesday charged with 14 offences including dangerous driving occasioning death, driving without a licence, failing to stop and assist and possessing prohibited drugs.
He will appear before Dubbo Local Court on Thursday.
"The incident was a complete tragedy for the families and the township of Wellington," NSW Police Acting Superintendent Natalie Antaw said.
"This is a tragic incident involving young children... children makes it that much more difficult, our hearts go out to the families."
Supt Antaw said the man's drug and alcohol test results were not available as yet and she did not believe anyone else was in the vehicle with the 25-year-old.
Counselling would be provided for the victims' families.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.