Serial rapist in Balding abduction back behind bars

One of the men convicted of abducting and raping Sydney bank teller Janine Balding before her murder in the late 1980s is back in custody less than two weeks after being released from prison.

Wayne Wilmot, 51, was placed under an interim supervision order when he left jail earlier in June, including requirements that he be subject to electronic monitoring and a curfew.

He was also ordered not to access pornographic material and abstain from illicit drugs.

But the violent sexual offender was locked up again on Friday after allegedly breaching conditions of the court order.

Wilmot did not apply for bail when he appeared before Waverley local court.

He is set to reappear at the same court on July 5.

Signage at Waverley Local Court (file image)
Wayne Wilmot allegedly breached an interim supervision order. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

Wilmot was due to return to the NSW Supreme Court in the coming week after being placed on conditional release from prison.

A judge in April said the interim orders were essential in order to protect the community and manage the significant risk he posed, particularly due to the chance that he would commit another, serious sexual offence.

In a report for the court, a forensic psychologist said Wilmot would most likely commit "a penetrative sexual attack upon a young woman previously unknown to him".

"Any offence would probably be impulsive, opportunistic, and target a vulnerable woman," the report said.

The risk of such a scenario eventuating was "well above average" with the risk of violent re-offending "even higher".

Wilmot was one of five homeless youths convicted over the 1988 abduction of Ms Balding, a case that stunned the nation due to the brutality involved and the age of the offenders.

The 20-year-old bank teller was repeatedly gang raped before being bound, gagged and held underwater in a dam until she drowned.

Wilmot, who was 15 at the time, was found not to have taken part in the murder but was sentenced to eight years in prison over the abduction and rape.

Before the attack on Ms Balding, he was found guilty of committing two other violent sexual assaults on women in public places.

After being released on parole in 1996, Wilmot robbed one female victim and assaulted another.

In 2023, Wilmot was acquitted of two separate charges related to sexual offending while in custody and was placed under an interim detention order which was extended the maximum number of times to keep him in jail.

Psychological assessments conducted on Wilmot in 2019 found him to have an IQ of just 74 and to be highly callous, manipulative and deceptive, consistent with psychopathy.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028