Serena Williams is looking to avenge her loss in last year’s U.S. Open. Despite coronavirus concerns, Williams announced Wednesday that she plans to take part in the 2020 U.S. Open.
Williams, 38, made the announcement during a U.S. Open video conference call. Williams said she was “excited” to take part in the event, and that she trusts the United States Tennis Association to keep players safe, according to ESPN.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday that the U.S. Open would take place in New York in August. The event will be held without fans.
Williams will look to take home her seventh U.S. Open singles title. She finished as the runner-up in 2019, losing to Bianca Andreescu in the final.
Williams is not the only tennis star to announce she would take part in the 2020 U.S. Open. Naomi Osaka said she is planning to play at the event. Osaka won the U.S. Open in 2018, beating Williams in the final.
More from Yahoo Sports: