Second man charged over NT arrow death

·1-min read

A second man has been charged over the death of a man who was shot with an arrow in a remote Northern Territory community.

Police said the 36-year-old was shot in the chest in Peppimenarti, 320km southwest of Darwin, on Tuesday night.

He was pronounced dead after being taken to a local health clinic just before midnight.

An 18-year-old man faced a Darwin court on Thursday charged with manslaughter over the incident.

NT Police said a 22-year-old had since been charged with one count of recklessly endangering life. He will face Darwin Local Court on Monday.

Major crime detectives, crime scene examiners and officers from the NT Police tactical group were sent to the community during the week.

"Police are working with elders, the local council and other government agencies to maintain community safety," police said in a statement.

Detectives have linked the incident to ongoing unrest in nearby Wadeye, where violent clashes between rival Indigenous clans were reported earlier this year.

NT Chief Minister Natasha Fyles has said the government is working to address issues in the region.

West Daly Regional Council said it had closed council services in Peppimenarti until further notice as a result of the incident.