The search for a 13-year-old girl whose parents were killed in the family home a week ago is to expand with as many as 2000 volunteers expected to comb the area for the child feared abducted.
The new ground search for Jayme Closs comes several days after an effort with 100 volunteers turned up nothing.
Jayme, 13, has been missing since Monday last week, when police responding to an emergency call found someone had broken into the family’s Wisconsin home and shot parents James and Denise Closs.
Authorities believe Jayme, who is not a suspect in her parents’ deaths, was abducted.
Meanwhile, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Monday that two cars are being sought in the case.
Police hunt vehicles connected to Wisconsin couple’s murders
Fitzgerald said investigators are looking for a red or orange Dodge Challenger and a black Ford Edge or black Acura MDX that may have been travelling near the Closs family’s home on the night of the killings.
He said he didn’t have information on the cars’ licence plates.
Fitzgerald said investigators have received more than 1300 tips and have closed 1100 of them.
Some of the tips led to the decision to resume the ground search, he said, though he declined to elaborate. Local police and agents from the state Department of Justice and the FBI mapped the area by helicopter Monday afternoon in preparation for Tuesday’s search.
“We’ve determined we’d like to search a bigger search area based on information our investigators have collected,” Fitzgerald said.
“These tips have led us to this.”
Jayme’s classmates held a vigil for her Monday night at the Barron High School football stadium.
Barron, a town of about 3400, is about 128 kilometres northeast of Minneapolis.