Search for family of man dead in tent for a year before being found


Police are trying to find the family of a man whose body lay dead in a tent for nearly a year before he was found.

Avon and Somerset Police released the picture of the man whose body was found in a tent off a highway near the seaside town of Weston-super-Mare in England on August 15 last year.

The force said despite “extensive enquiries” they have been unable to confirm who he is and are hoping to find his next of kin.

Investigating officer PC Andy Henderson said: “This is a really sad case of a man who appears to have been sleeping rough and whose death seems to have gone unreported.”

“It would appear he had been dead for up to a year before he was found and due to the condition of the remains it has been extremely difficult to establish for certain who he is.”

Authorities said they have been unable to confirm the man’s identity despite “extensive enquiries”. Source: Avon&Somerset Police/ Twitter

Inside the tent was a newspaper dated August 2016 and a driving licence and birth certificate, police said.

PC Henderson added: “Based on the documentation found, we believe the man to be called Peter Thomas Harrison who was born in Birmingham and would either have been aged 59 or 60 when he died.”

The man’s body was found last year in a tent off the A370 near Weston-super-Mare. Source: Google Street view

He said police believe the man was a driver and had spent recent years in and around the Weston-super-Mare area.

“We’d rather his next-of-kin not find out about his death in this manner but feel strongly that given the length of time, it is important they know,” PC Henderson said.