A seven-year-old who boy died after being hit by a council minibus after school in Wales has been named as Samuel Barker from Monmouth, Wales.
Police arrested the driver of the minibus after Samuel was hit around a mile away from Osbaston Church in Wales School after the end of the school day on Monday afternoon.
His parents paid tribute to their son on Tuesday, saying he had a “glowing personality and a lightly zany sense of humour”.
The family said in a statement: “On 13th January 2020, our beloved son Samuel Barker, aged 7, tragically died in a road traffic accident.
“Samuel had a glowing personality and a lightly zany sense of humour. He was always on the move, a happy active child who loved toy cars, climbing trees, the great outdoors and especially skiing and ski lifts.
“As a family, we are upheld and sustained by our faith in Jesus. While we wish we might have had longer with Samuel, we know that he is now with the Lord Jesus Christ in eternal peace.
“Samuel himself had a real faith. Some months ago he wrote these words: ‘I trust in Jesus. I am so excited to go to heaven.’ We all look forward to seeing him there too.
“Samuel will be greatly missed by his school friends, his church family and most of all by his two adoring brothers, Mum and Dad, and very loving wider family.”
Gwent Police confirmed on Tuesday the 45-year-old driver had been arrested and appealed for witnesses to come forward.
READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS UK:
Harry Dunn’s family attack ‘deeply disturbing’ statement from American woman’s lawyer over prosecution
A spokeswoman said: “Emergency services were called at around 3.40pm yesterday to reports of a road traffic collision between a minibus and a pedestrian on Hereford Road, A466, Monmouth.
“The pedestrian, a seven-year-old boy, sadly died at the scene. His family are being supported by specially trained officers.
“The driver of the minibus, a 45-year-old man from Gloucester, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving. He remains in police custody at this time.”
Council leader Peter Fox said: “I would like to offer deep and sincere condolences to the family and friends of this little boy from everyone associated with Monmouthshire County Council.
“It is just not possible to put into words how sad we feel. We are here to help and will be supporting the school, children and colleagues over the coming days and for as long as is necessary.”