WHAT THEY SAID ON DAY 22 OF THE ELECTION CAMPAIGN
THE BEST LINE
"It is not about me. It is not about Mr Albanese. It is not about the treasurer or the shadow treasurer. It is about Australians themselves."
- Scott Morrison to reporters on whether an interest rate hike would hurt him on polling day.
"There is not a lot we can do about things that are happening overseas that are impacting our economy, but these practical things we're doing as a government makes those cost of living pressures just a bit more able to be dealt with."
- On global factors pushing up the cost of living.
"You deserve more than thanks. You deserve a government that cares about secure work."
- Addressing health care workers at the Labour Day march.
THE SUPPORT CAST
"You don't watch it like you watch the Melbourne Cup on the big screen with your friends, you're actually supposed to be there, you're a frontbencher."
- Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce on Labor frontbencher Tanya Plibersek not attending the campaign launch in Perth on Sunday. Ms Plibersek was representing Labor Leader Anthony Albanese at an event in Sydney.
"Whether the Reserve Bank raises interest rates this week or next month, Scott Morrison's economic credibility is in tatters. This is the third wave of Scott Morrison's cost-of-living crisis."
- Shadow treasurer Jim Chalmers on the Liberal-National coalition's management of the economy.
"This isn't a beauty pageant. This isn't about electing the most popular person. It's about choosing the team and it is a team effort."
- NSW Liberal MP Dave Sharma on polling which shows voters could be looking for a change in government this election.
"You would think it was a number one KPI if you're the prime minister, to have your own people's living standards going forwards. If he worked in any of our workplaces he'd get the sack. Maybe he should be sacked."
- ACTU Secretary Sally McManus address a Labour Day rally in Brisbane.
"A house that is flooded in Queensland is the same as a house that is flooded in NSW."
- Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on the federal government's flood response.
"He's very attractive, I didn't think he was that good looking."
- A resident at a retirement village on what she thought of Scott Morrison, who visited the Labor-held Victorian seat of Corangamite.