SA man jailed over petrol bomb attack on teen

 

An Adelaide man who threw a home-made petrol bomb at a teenager has been jailed for at least 14 months over the attack.

Luke Coburn suffered burns to 28 per cent of his body in 2013 and has told the District Court that his scars are still healing while thoughts of the incident still make him "sick to my stomach".

He was attacked by two men, with the instigator, Joshua William Lomas, previously jailed for five years.

On Tuesday the second man involved, Tristan Dale Champion, was jailed for three years and seven months with a non-parole period of 14 months after pleading guilty to aggravated recklessly causing serious harm.

Adelaide man Joshua William Lomas, who threw a petrol bomb at a teenager in 2013, has been jailed. Photo: AAP

The attack stemmed from Lomas becoming jealous that his girlfriend had started seeing Mr Coburn, who was only 17 at the time.

Lomas initially hatched a plan to torch a car outside Mr Coburn's home but it changed in a "split second", with the home-made petrol bomb thrown towards the teenager instead.

In an apology read to the court recently, Champion said he deeply regretted the horrible injuries inflicted on Mr Coburn.

Sentencing Judge Paul Muscat said the offending was both stupid and dangerous and it "beggars belief" that Champion was willing to go along with the plan hatched by Lomas.

Latest from South Australia

feedback