The South Australian coroner will take further evidence from a stroke specialist after it was revealed a roster bungle - which may have contributed to the deaths of two patients - had been repeated.
State Coroner Mark Johns is holding an inquest into the deaths of stroke patients Michael John Russell, 60, and Leslie Robert Graham, 81, who died when the Royal Adelaide Hospital's only two Interventional Neuro-Radiology (INR) specialists were on leave at the same time.
Dr Rebecca Scroop and Dr James Taylor were both approved leave in April, 2017, and were unavailable to carry out the procedures.
The surgeries were instead performed by the state's only other accredited INR specialist, Dr Steve Chryssidis, but were not successful.
Earlier in the inquest, former head of radiology Dr Jim Buckley said it had been a mistake for him to sign leave forms that meant the two specialists were away at the same time.
He said when he signed the second specialist's form he did so "inadvertently" and didn't realise her colleague would be away for an overlapping four-day period.
Dr Buckley also said a third full-time specialist had recently been appointed, something that had been recommended some years ago by an internal review.
But a media report in June, 2018, revealed the pair had again both been granted leave for the same time period in July this year.
Following the revelation, Dr Scroop agreed to postpone her approved leave.
In court on Thursday, counsel Ralph Bonig said he intended to cross-examine Dr Taylor about the rostering issue.
"It seems to me that what Dr Buckley put forward as the solution and put in place... was not followed or alternatively didn't work," he said.
"Whether that is the engagement of a third specialist or, alternatively, the process for the approval of rostering, which is the more important issue."
He said the most recent error in rostering meant Dr Buckley's evidence "doesn't appear to stack up".
"How has it come about if we've heard evidence that changes had been put in place?"
The inquest continues.