A 10-year road safety strategy, which will focus on driver behaviour and safer cars, will seek to cut South Australia's road toll in half.
The draft plan hopes to reduce the current three-year average of 96 annual deaths to less than 47 by 2031 and also bring serious injuries down 30 per cent to just over 500.
Road Safety Minister Vincent Tarzia says the targets are the first steps towards achieving the state's vision of zero lives lost by 2050.
"Our goals are ambitious, but they must be, to put an end to preventable tragedies on our roads," he said.
The draft strategy will support and enforce safer road behaviour and seek to increase the purchase of safer cars.
It will also address safer road design and maintenance and try to reduce the number of regional deaths, deaths among Indigenous communities and those among young drivers and drivers aged over 70.
The plan further looks at ways of improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
But the Labor Opposition said the government had a shocking road safety record since coming to office in 2018 with the number of deaths rising in 2019 and 2020.
The toll for 2021 stands at 56, compared to 50 at the same time last year following the death on Thursday of a nine-year-old boy in a crash at Port Kenny on SA's Eyre Peninsula.
"It is all very well having targets and aspirations, but the fact is that the Liberals have a shocking record on road safety," Opposition Road Safety Spokesman Lee Odenwalder said.
The government has called for public feedback on its safety plan with the consultation period to close on September 1.