A man accused of kidnapping and raping a young European tourist in South Australia is seeking to be released on home detention bail to live with his wife.
The 52-year-old allegedly snatched and attacked the woman east of Adelaide in February after responding to an advertisement she had posted online seeking work.
He faced court on Thursday where he applied for a home detention suitability report, which was ordered by the magistrate.
Defence lawyer Edward Stratton-Smith said the accused man could stay with his wife under strict conditions if necessary.
"She would participate," he told the Adelaide Magistrates Court.
"His passport's been taken. There's no flight risk.
"I understand the alleged victim is out of the country.
"Any concerns can be addressed by bail conditions."
But prosecutor Emma Roper strongly opposed bail, saying the allegations were too serious and the investigation is ongoing.
The accused man is charged with three counts of rape and one of unlawfully detaining the 24-year-old tourist.
The backpacker had been missing for a day before she was found at a Murray Bridge motel thanks to a tip-off from a member of the public.
She managed to get a desperate message to her family in Europe and another to a friend in Queensland during the ordeal, providing clues about her location.
After she was found, police swooped on a farmhouse in Meningie and arrested the man.
The tourist had posted an ad on classifieds website Gumtree in search of work in Victoria, and her alleged captor responded, police say.
The court previously heard the man, who can't be named for legal reasons, may have other victims.
The man will return to court on April 12.