South Australia will review its COVID-19 close contact rules in the wake of eased restrictions in NSW and Victoria.
The issue is set for discussion at a meeting of the state's Emergency Management Council next week, but consideration is being given to bringing that meeting forward.
Premier Peter Malinauskas said maintaining a level of national consistency in regard to coronavirus restrictions remained important to the government.
But he said officials would also continue to monitor and be guided by case numbers and hospitalisations.
"What we're seeking is to get that balance right between having restrictions in place and getting us back to a degree of normality," the premier told reporters on Thursday.
SA still requires all close contacts of confirmed COVID-19 cases to isolate for seven days.
A similar rule for people in NSW and Victoria will be dropped from Friday although they will have to undertake daily rapid antigen tests, wear masks indoors and work from home where possible.
They will also have to notify their employers and avoid high-risk environments like hospitals and aged care settings.
Such rules are likely in SA if the isolation requirements are dropped but that will depend on the latest advice from health officials.
Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said he expected to be able to clarify the state's position on close contacts in the coming days.
"Where we can achieve national consistency it makes it easier for South Australians who travel in and out of the state and it makes it easier for visitors to our state as well," he said.
SA reported 4079 new infections on Thursday, a figure Mr Malinauskas said was relatively good considering the dropping of the state's widespread mask mandates last week.
Daily case numbers have trended down since hitting a peak of 6091 on April 7.