SA govt to axe 1000 Adelaide bus stops

Emily Cosenza

The South Australian government has continued to talk up a revamp of Adelaide's public transport network despite conceding about 1000 bus stops will be lost to commuters.

The government previously indicated about 500 stops would go as part of the shake-up, along with some bus routes.

But Transport Minister Stephan Knoll confirmed on Wednesday another 450 stops would only be available to school students.

"They're there to deliver our kids safely and quickly to their schools and that's an important part of our bus network," Mr Knoll said.

He stood by the reforms, arguing SA had the lowest level of public transport use in the country with a system carrying far fewer people than it did 10 years ago.

"On top of having the lowest public transport fares in the country and still having half the customers say they weren't getting value for money, this was a broken bus network," the minister told reporters.

Premier Steven Marshall also backed the changes which he said would provide better, faster and more efficient public transport.

"What we'll end up with is a much better return on investment for the taxpayers of South Australia and a much better outcome for those who use public transport on a regular basis," he said.

However, the state opposition described the proposed changes to bus stops and bus routes as unprecedented and urged the government to dump its plans.

"This is not a reform, it's a massive cut," Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas said.

"Reforms are supposed to help people, not hurt them, yet these changes to public transport are going to make a lot of families' lives a lot worse off."