More than 100 applications have been lodged seeking redress for child sexual abuse in South Australian institutions, Attorney-General Vickie Chapman says.
The state government joined the National Redress Scheme in February this year, after the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse estimated as many as 60,000 Australians had been abused.
"Ideally, there would be no need for a scheme such as this - however regrettably, people in both non-government and state run institutions were abused as children," Ms Chapman said on Wednesday.
"While the Redress Scheme cannot undo the abuse these people endured, it can help them move forward, with the support, counselling and acknowledgement they need."
The scheme is managed by the federal government, but the state is responsible for searching through available records and providing relevant supporting information to assist with the assessment of applications.
Ms Chapman said the government has worked quickly to ensure the process works effectively.
"We have been able to respond to the National Redress Scheme generally in advance of the four or eight weeks provided by the law for this process," she said.
The establishment of the new scheme meant the state's existing ex-gratia scheme, established following the Mullighan Inquiry, was being phased out.
"This program ceased accepting new applications in February this year," she said.
"There are around 17 applications to be finalised under the state ex-gratia scheme, which we expect to close off by the end of the year."