Rugby star charged over sex assault

Rugby union star Kurtley Beale has been charged over an alleged sexual assault.

The 34-year-old Wallabies winger was taken into custody by police on Friday over an alleged incident in Sydney's east on December 17 last year.

The Australia international has been suspended from all rugby with immediate effect following the charge.

Police received a report that a 28-year-old woman was sexually assaulted at a licensed premises on Beach Road, Bondi Beach.

"Detectives from Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command took carriage of the matter and commenced an investigation under Strike Force Titheradge," police said in a statement.

Beale was arrested in a vehicle stop in Kingsford just before 2.30pm on Friday.

He was taken to Waverley Police Station for questioning and was later charged with two counts of sexually touching another person without consent, inciting another to sexually touch them without consent and sexual intercourse without consent.

He was refused bail to appear in Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday.

Rugby Australia said in a statement: "Kurtley Beale has been suspended from all forms of rugby with immediate effect pending the conclusion of legal proceedings,.

"This step follows Mr Beale's arrest and subsequent charge with serious criminal offences, and is in line with Rugby Australia's Professional Player Code of Conduct."

Beale, who has played 95 times for his country, took part in a 44-man Wallabies training camp on the Gold Coast last week.

He recently returned to Australia after several years spent playing in France ahead of the Super Rugby season for the NSW Waratahs.

Beale, from NSW, has spent most of his more than decade-long career with the Waratahs, aside from a brief spell with the Melbourne Rebels.